Update on Coronavirus - 4th March 2020
Update on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak - as of 4th March 2020
The College is open as normal. We are continuing to monitor the situation and will send updates if necessary.
We know that some of you may have concerns or questions about the current outbreak of coronavirus. We want to reassure you that we are working hard to ensure everyone at the College is safe and that we will remain open and it is business as usual, unless you are notified otherwise.
The UK Department of Health has raised the risk to the public from low to moderate. This allows the government to plan for all possible scenarios; the risk to individuals in the UK has not changed at this stage.
The NHS advises that health professionals will contact anyone who has been in close contact with an infected individual. If you have not been contacted, rest assured that you are highly unlikely to catch coronavirus.
Recommendations for looking after your own health
The World Health Organization’s standard recommendations for the general public in order to reduce exposure to and transmission of a range of illnesses are as follows:
- Frequently wash your hands thoroughly, using soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub
- When coughing and sneezing cover your mouth and nose with a flexed elbow or tissue; throw the tissue away immediately and wash your hands
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has a fever and cough
- If you have a fever, cough and are having difficulty breathing, seek medical help immediately and inform your health care provider with details of all your previous travel.
- The consumption of raw or under-cooked animal products should be avoided. Raw meat, milk or animal organs should be handled with care to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods, as per good food safety practices
We understand that this is a worrying time, but please be mindful of how your actions may be perceived by others. Haringey Sixth Form College does not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.
We will keep this webpage and social media updated. Should there be any major changes we will inform all staff and students immediately.
Further advice and updates are also available on these sites:
- Public Health England
- The Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- The World Health Organisation
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Department for Education Coronavirus helpline
The government has launched a new helpline to answer questions about coronavirus (COVID-19) related to education. Staff, parents and young people can contact the helpline as follows:
Phone: 0800 046 8687
Opening hours: 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday)